Everyone thinks they are perfect parents, but this can only be known when they do some parenting themselves! There are a lot of modern-day parenting mistakes that you see all the time. Since we are also humans, so, naturally, we may also do mistakes, but we do not realize it, and this can interrupt the positive development of our child. If we want to raise our child in the best way, then we have to avoid these parenting mistakes. So, here are Some Parenting tips.
10 parenting mistakes we should avoid, and their solutions are given below: (Parenting tips)
1. Being too child-centered: We love them. They love us loving them. We revolve our lives around them. We prioritize their needs over ours. All this is good. But some of us take this to a whole different level by getting overly involved and invested in the child’s future, so much so that we start seeing the child’s successes and failures as our own. Soon it becomes more about us than the kids. Even if we do not go to this extreme when you are too child-centered, you are more likely to raise a selfish.
How to avoid this: Love them, but do not over-pamper them. They are extremely cute, but they are not, and should not be treated as the centre of the universe. Nurture them in a way that promotes selflessness, not selfishness. Do not overprotect and pamper.
2. Spanking and insulting: This is the other extreme. One of the biggest mistakes parents does disrespect their child by insulting them before others or punishing them by hitting. Both these situations have numerous consequences, but the topmost is your child grow up with inferiority complex.
How to avoid this: Do not scare your child, instead explain them natural consequences. Distract the child out of a difficult situation to an appropriate one. Reward them for their good behaviour that should be emotional, not materialistic.
3. Trying to be their BFF: What is wrong with this? That might be your first question. All of us want our children to love us. We want to become a cool, approachable, and friendly parent with whom the kids share everything. Nothing wrong with this. But when you try hard against your child’s wishes and force him to make you their best friend, that’s when things go wrong. Or in other cases, you must have been your child’s best friend till he hit his high school.
How to avoid this: Do not be so desperate to be their friend. You are more likely to give in to unreasonable requests when you are obsessed about acting cool. Parents need to be parents – you need to be strong enough and stern when you have to. Do not seek their approval. Also, give them space. Do not let the need to be love obliterate your love. This is a very popular Parenting tips.
4. Being too competitive: All of us are highly competitive by nature. And consequently, many of us make the mistake of comparing our child, his successes and failures with his peers. We also compare our efforts with that of others. And whenever we get a chance, we try to outdo them. We also tend to pressurize our children to study like ABC, who is topper in class, participate in competitions like XYZ who is super talented and be more active in sports like MNP who is an athlete. That puts undue pressure on our child and might result in him failing rather than succeeding.
How to avoid this: First up, don’t beat yourselves. You are not the wrong person. You are just afraid, afraid that your child will be left behind. Children need to work hard, no doubt. But do not tell them to win at all costs, which will make them think that it is okay to throw someone under the bus as long as it gets them to move forward.
5. Not leading by example: This is one of the popular Parenting tips, Actions speak louder than words. Are you asking your child to eat their greens while you don’t? Do you asking your child not to watch TV in the morning, but you do? Are you telling him not to shout while you raise your voice every time you are angry? If you are not doing something, you can expect your little one to follow the same suit because parents are kids’ first role models.
How to avoid this: Never too late to talk. Every time you or your spouse do something right (and we hope that this happens often), point it out and applaud the action. Your child is watching you closely and emulating your behaviour. So be aware of how you behave, how you treat your family and friends, and how you talk about people whom you hate.
6. They are worrying too much: Some parents panic over everything, starting from spitting up during infancy to every fall during toddler days to every exam during their adolescence. From a very young age, the child can pick up our anxiety and reflect on it. As they grow older, our constant fuss over them can either make them develop in an over-protected environment or make them want to break the shackles and do exactly those things that may worry you.
How to avoid this: Calm and Engage yourselves in various calming methods, including meditation. Educate yourself about what warrants worry and what doesn’t. Be positive.
7. Expecting too much from them: We all know this. There are so many real-life and reel life examples that show how a child’s short-term and long-term life can be destroyed if parents expect too much from them. Many of us raise the child we want and not the child we have.
How to avoid this: Do not force-fit your child into your expectations. Your child is not wired the same way as you. He will have different skillsets, different aspirations, and various ambitions. Be supportive of what they want to do. Always remember that this is not about you but about them.
8. Not allowing them to explore: This is an extension of being overprotective, over-pampering and worrying too much. If you are a control freak, then you do not let your child be curious and exploratory. You are always worried about them hurting themselves. This will control your child’s creativity literally at its bud.
How to avoid this: A child learns so many things through exploring the world around him himself. Childproof your house follow your child at a distance – long enough to let him be, and short enough to rush to him if he needs you. Provide a safe environment (sandpits, baby pools) for him to play with and learn.
9. Not shaping their eating habits well: Despite our good intentions, we make multiple mistakes when it comes to teaching our kids healthy eating habits. These include applying too much pressure, bribing, giving up on new foods too soon and overdoing juices and snacks.
How to avoid this: There are quite a lot you can and need to do in nutrition that cannot be covered in the scope of this article. Educate yourself on good eating habits and try to follow them as much as you can. But the important point here is not overtly to worry about yourself.
10. We are not thinking long-term: Some times we are not thinking for a long-term because of our extreme love so we might do a lot of parenting mistakes. We are worried about not letting the child shout in the market, so we immediately comply with his demands. Some times we scared about our child’s hunger, so we feed them any kind of junk they ask for. We are not thinking of the long term well-being of our child when we always think of managing the crisis at hand.
How to avoid this: Whenever you feel tempted to make a temporary solution, pause and ask yourself if it is sustainable. Think about the long term consequence of your and your child’s actions. Read about other parents’ efforts in similar conditions.
This list contains a limited number of parenting mistakes. There are countless other parenting mistakes like fighting with your spouse/family member in front of your child, being biased with your one child over the other, making an unrealistic threat and finally relying on untrustworthy sources for parenting advice. While you can’t get everything right, try to make fewer Parenting mistakes!
If you like our Parenting tips so, comment below and let us know what you want to know next.
Read about us – Here
Parenting Tips #Parenting Mistakes #Parenting #parenting